Saturday, January 06, 2007

Boiling HOT!!!

Man has it been hot here. Hasn't dropped down below 25 degrees the past few days, even at night....thank god for the evap cooler! We also have a refrigerated unit in our bedroom, but I try not to use that unless its really yucky. Theres supposedly a change on the way??? And rain??? We wont see it though, we always miss the rain.

So thats about all that has been happening here, we have been living in the pool.

I haven't really managed to scrap over the last few days, too hot and sticky. But I have had some good news. I have been chosen as one of three winners over at the 1,2,3 challenge blog. Its hosted by Charmane Koch and Karlene Fahey, and I am really pleased that I won....some yummy BG blush papers comming my way as my prize....so thanks girls, if you ever read my blog! LOL!
I also found out today that I won a challenge over at scrapworld with my "this is why" LO. I love that LO so I am really happy that others thought it was good too.

Now on to something else. In regards to the controlled comforting technique. I have had some really positive and supportive comments, and some really mean and downright nasty ones (hopefully none of you were unfortunate enough to see them before I deleted them). I feel like I have to explain myself and the technique a little now.

We were getting really desperate. While Glenn is fab (he got up at night most of the time, because phisically and mentally I just couldnt, what with the PND and everything), it was all just getting a bit much. We were all stressed, Aodhan was tired too, and Ciara was grumpy cos she wasn't sleeping properly. So we decided to try the CC.

The controlled comforting technique IS NOT leaving your baby to cry. It is a technique that is used to teach baby to go to sleep by themselves. Most of the problem with babies is that they fall asleep and wake up in the pitch black, or somewhere else altogether. In our case Ciara was falling asleep on her night bottle. So she was put into her cot asleep. So when she went through the sleep cycle and woke after 60 minutes, she was startled because she wasnt where she fell asleep. I bet you'd get a shock if you woke up somewhere diff? So what you do is cry comfort. I really didnt think I would be able to do it, it was breaking my heart, but she really didnt cry that much. We only ever got to 6 mins, meaning that she had cried for 12 mins in total. And that does sound like a long time, even to me, but its really not, especially when I have heard of babies crying for hours on end.

I shouldn't have to justify myself, especially seeing as we have had such sucess and Ciara is a changed baby. She is happier through the day, more vocal, and exploring her surroundings alot more. And its all because she is getting a good nights sleep.

So to you arseholes who left an ANONYMOUS comment, bugger off and dont come back. We dont like your type round here. And secondly, if you dont like it dont read it, or at least have the guts to comment using your name!

So, if anyone wants the disc, either for themselves or you might know someone/s who will benefit, please leave me a comment, or PM me at whichever forum you know me from, or use the email me link over on the side bar...I think there is one? Is there? I think this is an extremely valuable resource, and it may turn someones life around for the better.

On that note I will love you and leave you, byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

P.s. When is clueless on? hopefully not tonight. maybe I should just check the TV guide hey? bye!

8 Comments:

Blogger gailw said...

oooh dee, yeah, you're right, you shouldn't have to justify yourself about 'controlled crying' or any other parenting technique YOU and DH want to try..... you tell 'em babe, bugger off.

Oh, and BTW, it wasn't me who left the awful comments either, i leave my name on blogs as I don't like that anonymous stuff...

I know what you'r talking about with the heat... live in the pool is the best way to get through it.

Here's to sleep through nite's Dee..

Gail (teachingmum)

06 January, 2007 19:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
Glad to hear that the controlled comforting worked for you and Ciara. That is great news. It's terrible not being able to get a full nights sleep and even worse listening to a crying bubba. We tried all that with both DD and with DS (20mths) but it just doesn't work for them *sigh* Our kids just really, really need us, the closeness...I don't know but I never had a moments trouble with my eldest DS (15 now LOL) so I can't figure out the problem with my youngest.
As for leaving Anon comments on your blog! What cowards. If you can't communicate using your name then don't bother. Especially if it's a negative comment - NOT INTERESTED!!!!!! There ya go matey *wink*
PMSLOL.
Take care and stay cool.
Cheers
Tammy

06 January, 2007 19:50  
Blogger Sam said...

Glad it is working for you Dee ... we had a similar problem with DS and ended up going to sleep school where they do this exact thing.
It is amazing the difference it made to him and us too... when DD came along we were really lucky that she was a great sleeper.
Hope all continues to go well.

Take Care
Sam

07 January, 2007 11:52  
Blogger Tammy said...

I had not heard of controlled comforting only controlled crying, until I read your description. This jumped out at me as a potential solution for us, though my babe's night waking hadn't yet gotten to the stage your DD's had, it was still disruptive and made for an impatient and short tempered mum to two children during the day.
Using your description I started one morning and after just 3 times he fell asleep in bed by himself no tears within 6 minutes and slept through the night on the second night.
Why is it that when people disagree with what you say they have to be 'anon' it's like they think anonimity is an acceptable excuse to get Nasty, Sorry to hear you had to deal with that.

07 January, 2007 13:56  
Blogger Julie said...

yep the rain misses us too.
WTG winning stuff.
Well u did a good job of getting them off before I read them!
For a start u shouldn't have to feel the need to explain ur self to n e of us Dee & do u know who they came from or did the idiot's put it from anonymous?....bloody cowards if they did! Everyone should own their own comments & if u can't put ur name to it they shouldn't comment @ all! Well thats my opinion n e ways!!!
...oh just read further, the cowards.
May need that @ some stage... & be warned u spineless idiots
....don't bother trying it on me!

We love ya Dee
Jxx

07 January, 2007 14:36  
Blogger Julie said...

Loved Julies comment Dee. Ditto from me too. I'm glad that the sleeping things is working out for you.

07 January, 2007 21:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M NOT REALLY ANON BUT I DON'T HAVE A BLOGGER/GOOGLE ID - ITS KIRSTEN (KIRSTEN67) FROM THE BOXX
Hi Dee,
Congrats on your win! That is so nice for you.
And no, you shouldn't have to explain about why you may choose to do a certain parenting technique. We ended up doing this for our DD as she got too big to carry as we walked round and round the dining table to put her to sleep, only to have her wake up the minute she was laid into the cot. It only took a few nights of tears (hers and mine) and she was much better at going to sleep by herself. When our twins were born, we knew that we had to do this from the start - and we just put them in the cot and let them go to sleep by themselves. Hope it all works out for you,
Kirsten Northfield.

09 January, 2007 16:03  
Blogger Petrina McDonald said...

ummm, why would you leave an anonymouse (that is not a sp mistake) comment and not say who you are? What is the point of leaving a comment then? der
Mate - do what you have to do with the crying thing - we did it with the first but not the second and regretted it for 18 months!
Congrats on all of your wins of late - go girl!

Petrina.

09 January, 2007 22:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home